Sunday, December 09, 2007

Riddle me this.

So reading the paper today I noticed that its only a $20 fine for not voting. $20!!! I thought it was a couple of hundred!

How is it fair that the fine for not attending jury duty is $1100 (in NSW) but not voting (in a federal election) is $20!! Not voting in a NSW state election is still only $25.

I don't get it! It's a hell of a lot more obvious that an election is on than getting (or not getting) one letter about jury duty. Although maybe not a by-election, possibly not a state election but surely a federal one!

What is the point of having compulsory voting if there is only a $20 fine? I wonder how often people actually even GET fined for not voting anyway!

The article was saying how its a $55 fine for not voting in a VIC state election but only $20 for federal.

Also, I don't know HOW the Northern Territory arrived at $37.50!

- Jen

No comments: