Saturday, April 29, 2006

Graduation Day (there was..)


Grad
Originally uploaded by trojen_hoarse.

Yesterday was the fruition of four years of well not exactly blood or sweat but occasionally tears.

I graduated from university and am now the proud owner of a Bachelor of Business and a Bachelor of Information Technology. I majored in International Business and did an IT minor in Online Multimedia.

I constantly ask myself what exactly it is I learnt at university. Post exams I remember very little about absolute and comparative advantage, for loops and while loops, maslows hierarchy of needs, object modelling and the rest of the 'stuff' I learnt at uni. I did learn to think differently though. A lot of people write uni off as a waste of money and time or think that uni students are bludgers (there is a small amount of work done in the 2 weeks before exams you know). I know uni isn't the be all and end all but I'm really glad I went. I worked hard, too hard probably but now it's all paid off for me. I have a great job which I enjoy, I met so many people and had an awesome time. All the o-weeks and the theme nights I will definitely miss. The 'all-nighters' probably not so much but even those were something I'm glad I experienced. There were the eccentric lecturers, the awesome lecturers, the mean lecturers, the buying of fresh textbooks and the promises to yourself that this semester you were going to go to every class and there weren't going to be any 'all nighters'. There was the moving out of home, the freezing winters at woodstock crt, the parties at woodstock and campbell crts, flip cup with the Americans, the unsteady walks home through the 'blair witch' area, the Termo (and its tragic demise). Then there was the accounting exam which I forgot to take a calculator to (and subsequently failed although I did manage to secure a calculator). There was the project management subject where I failed the first assignment by one mark, passed the second assignment by one mark and then came out with a credit after the exam. Then there was the subjects where I got distinctions in both assignments and finished with a pass. I guess I won some and I lost some. I never did find that elusive HD though. I traded fun and a social life for 10 marks (which is a pretty good trade).

I'm sure going to miss it (as we speak my taste for beer is diminishing).

- Jen

p.s. See my flickr for more grad photos.

No comments: