Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Jen and the not-so-skippy bush kangaroo

As much as the things that happen to me on a daily basis make me laugh or make me cry or make me angry, I cannot deny the fact that they also provide material for me to blog about.

Take today for instance, driving to work, listening to death cab for cutie, and I come round a corner and there is a kangaroo on the side of the road. Just chillin' out.

Not really. It had been hit by a car (or else had broken it's leg hopping) and was trying to hop away. Pretty unsuccessfully too. Like my sister mentioned later on, a kangaroo's legs are a pretty integral part of its mobility. I kept driving but felt horrible. I mean, I didn't hit the roo but I hate seeing hurt animals. By the time I got to the bottom of the hill I was looking for a place to turn around to go back. So being the soft dork that I went back to see if I could do anything.

It was lying on its side trying feebly to get away but didn't seem too scared of me. Of course having lived with a cat that has to take valium to keep it sane, a hurt kangaroo wasn't too much of a step up. I looked at it, it looked at me and I made soothing 'sea noises'. Then I decided that this was a bit of a waste of time. I felt terrible (pretty close to tears), but what could I do? I called the police who said they were on their way so I'd done all I could do for the poor thing.

I got in my car and drove back up the hill to find a place to turn around, did so and then drove back down the hill avoiding looking at the roo.

Of course I looked at the roo, well looked for the roo. Except it wasn't on the side of the road anymore it was on the road. Under a truck.

Not a good start to my day really!! But bloggable material none-the-less.

- Jen
p.s. My sister later mentioned if it was a 'boy' or a 'girl' kangaroo and I'm so glad I didn't think to look. If there had of been a joey in there...well there would have been a lot more than a little sniffling I think!

No comments: