Sunday, August 07, 2005

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead, soon we must make the choice between what is right, and what is easy"

The title of this post is a quote from Albus Dumbledore, much famed headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. That's right, for all of you that don't know, I'm a Harry Potter fan. But you have to admit, the quote is a good one. Making the choice between what is right and what is easy. The reason I am thinking about this is because I have just finished my study for today (that's right, I've been a good girl) and have had to read a few chapters of my ethics textbook. What seemed really boring and painful is actual really interesting and thought provoking. I won't really go into it, for the sake of keeping the few readers I actually have, but I'm enjoying it more than I thought.
Last night..the man and associated friends went to the local mexican cuisine establishment (aka Taco Bill's). I have to say honestly, the food isn't THAT great. It's not anything I couldn't make with a little help from Old El Paso. But the company was worth it, (as were the $35.00 fishbowl margaritas). Seriously I had a top night. After dinner a few of us headed up to The Busted Arse Elbow (aka The Bended Elbow). It was Normie's* birthday on Friday night and I offered to buy him a drink. To which he replies "Sure!, you know I'd offer to buy you one but I know it wouldn't get me anywhere"...Pretty funny stuff.

The man and I walked up to Paddy's after the 'elbow to meet up with best friend. Frankly I was a bit apprehensive because best friend and the man have never been great together. Usually I end up feeling bad because I have upset one of them by favouring the other (I KNOW it's ridiculous). So I was pleasantly surprised to find best friend in a most amicable mood (even telling me she thought the man was cool).
Best friend's sister may be getting engaged soon and we were talking about how best friend needs to find herself a groom, and I said "yeah, me too". Here was the nicest part of the night when she turns around and looks at the man and says to me "I think you already have". awwwwww.

So that was nice. Later that night the man and I are trying to decide where to stay for the night. He told me he was not under any circumstances staying at my parents house (read awkward). Naturally, that was where we stayed.

Now it may not seem like a big deal, this "staying over" thing. But the thing is, it has never been discussed with the parents. Now that I am living under their roof (and with a boyfriend to boot) it is probably time to have this discussion. Now for me, having the man sleep in a separate room seems a trifle silly. After all when I lived out of home he didn't sleep in a different room, and when I stay with him, we sleep in the same room. However, I can respect that being under their roof, I am naturally obliged to abide by their rules....however prehistoric they may be ;-)
What ended up happening was, at 2:00am I wasn't about to ring them and ask them what the rules concerning this situation was. So I prayed they were the "cool parent" type that understands that I'm 21.
Maybe I will bring this up with one of them. Actually I probably should. As the man pointed out, "there's nothing like waking up to the sound of a shotgun being cocked"..and none of us want it to get to that stage....well the dad maybe :)

And that's about all I have to say about that,

Jen


*I've decided for the most part to stop using nicknames because it's too confusing..names already in operation will stay e.g. the man and turtle-lips

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thats convenient. Why the hell do I get to keep turtle lips, dammit!
-j

-j said...

And in an earlier post, you said my hair was dark and spikey. You forgot to mention how HOT i am, eh??? eeehhhh? ;)
And i just realised I poseted a car wash post, and you have too.... mines better though. you've seen my car!
-j