Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Why walk when you can run?

So not long before I left Albury I stopped going to the gym. It was boring and I got sick of having to leave work earlier to just snaffle myself a treadmill. I started running outside. Before I went to the gym and worked up the small amount of fitness I now have, I couldn't run outside to save myself.

Er, thats a stupid expression, if I were being chased by an axe-wielding maniac I like to think I'd put in the effort and have a crack at running. ANYWAY being a little bit fitter helped with the running outside thing and now I love it. Since moving to Melbourne I' ve had a hard time finding the energy at the end of the day to go for a run, especially with it being dark and cold outside but this week I discovered a new approach....you can run in the MORNINGs! So Monday and Tuesday I got up at 5:30am and went for a run only for about 30 mins, very local just around the block. It was great, I felt a little bit worn out at the end of the day but it was great to go home and not have to nag myself to get outside and do some exercise! As soon as I'm out the door I'm fine, I walk outside and go 'aw this is fantastic'. In shorts and a t-shirt too!!

Its gotten to the point where I jog to work, run home (it IS mostly downhill). I start to walk and think....geez I could be home in half the time if I ran. The other day I missed the ascot vale train by seconds and then ran to kensington to hop on the next train along. I was pretty happy with that effort!

So since starting this blog I now have three hobbies: guitar, blogging and now running! I have yet to convince the man to join me in a run. I think Mr Cheezels and Chocolate for breakfast is against any form of exercise unless it is a sport played on a tv with a controller. In a couple of weeks I will be doing the lake attack run with some grads from work which should be fun. The most I have run so far in one session is 11kms usually its about 3 but I'm not sure which event we are in, the 5km walk or the 10km run. I'm looking forward to it anyway!

- Jen

No comments: